Moodle Contribution #1

This discussion involved The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle. Our class had been having a debate about the book; some believed it to be great while some found it awful. This discussion branched off of that. Dana asked if this book was truly appropriate for children. At that time I was spending time thinking about the age appropriateness of children's literature. I felt as if our expectations for what children can read are too low. Some of my thinking has evolved since this post-I no longer think the majority of children's literature is "dumbed down"-but this is representative of my thinking at the beginning of the quarter.
Picture of Dana Carpenter
A book for children?
by Dana Carpenter - Tuesday, 25 January 2011, 03:16 PM

As I read this book, I find myself thinking "this is children's literature?"  Although Charlotte herself is a child, the vocabulary Avi uses seems more suited to adults.  Several phrases such as "my room was small, save a dresser" would make no sense to a child.  Or would it?  However, I'm not "writing it off" (no pun intended) just yet.  If it won a Newbury award, then there's a reason.
I'm really enjoying everyone's thoughts on this forum.  It's very civil and open.  Thanks for sharing.
Picture of Robin Martin
Re: A book for children?
by Robin Martin - Tuesday, 25 January 2011, 05:55 PM

Dana, I guess they are still considered children into the upper teens. I remember being beyond this by the 6th grade. If a young person dosen't get it then they need to ask questions or be reading more. We all gain knowledge the more we read. I'm afraid this sound kind of push on my part, sorry.
Picture of Melissa Peacock
Re: A book for children?
by Melissa Peacock - Wednesday, 26 January 2011, 08:25 PM

I have been thinking much this week about how dumbed down literature for children has become. I know we have discussed this some in class, but I can't seem to get it off my mind.

I was reading adult fiction by the time I was eleven. I wanted something deeper, more fulfilling than what children's and even young adult literature offered me.

That said, Charlotte Doyle provides a deep, refreshing alternative to the seemingly low standards we have placed on our children. I think kids are capable of reading and understanding more advanced things, but we keep those things from them for fear of their rejecting them-or worse yet, rejecting reading!

I think kids enjoy a challenge. I loved looking up new words, and my parents' friends often commented on my expanded vocabulary. Reading gave that to me. I am encouraged by this book, because I am realizing that there is some good fiction out there for kids-fiction that does expect a bit more from the reader. Maybe Charlotte Doyle is not the most in depth book ever written, but it provides a stepping stone for children to explore "harder" books.
Picture of Dana Carpenter
Re: A book for children?
by Dana Carpenter - Wednesday, 26 January 2011, 10:31 PM

You raise a good point about the "dumbing down" aspect.  It makes me wonder if the trend toward doing this with children's literature was to accommodate those who struggle with basic reading.  Authors and educators may have wanted reading to be fun and not a chore, hence the result was lowering the bar.
 I think back to being 8 years old and being bored with grade level books.  I had a teacher who nurtured my love of reading and gave me a pass to the intermediate library (grades 4-6)This is where I fell in love with "older" books like "Where the Lilies Bloom".  Now I wonder if Avi's book might fit in that category today. 
It sounds like you had a lot of support at home which encouraged your love for reading. 
Picture of Jason Miller
Re: A book for children?
by Jason Miller - Monday, 31 January 2011, 11:46 AM

I feel the same way. My mom read the Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Hobbit to me when I was little, so in a few years I began to try and tackle them. Kids can do a lot if they set their mind to it, the only challenge is making them interested.
And back in middle school, there were quite a few kids (though not near the majority) in my classes that had reading levels above their grade, and a few like me who had a college reading level.
I really think that the more you expect from them, the more they can show you (if they want to, but if they don't want to do well that's a different problem).
Steve Veldhuizen
Re: A book for children?
by Steve Veldhuizen - Monday, 31 January 2011, 12:07 PM

I guess they classify this book as children's lit is because Charlotte Doyle was 13. But the content was for an audience of young adults.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP