Moodle Contribution #4

My final Moodle contribution comes from my response to Emily's Explorations report. I was inspired by what she had to say, but beyond that, I began to think about what I could do with the knowledge she shared. Emily's report is providing my jumping off place for my Explorations project next quarter. I took what she presented and made it my own.

Picture of Emily Pacheco
Explorations for Friday 3/11 (Emily's project)
by Emily Pacheco - Sunday, 6 March 2011, 10:26 AM
 
"As we share the words and pictures, the ideas and viewpoints, the rhythms and rhymes, the pain and comfort, and the hopes and fears and big issues of life that we encounter together in the pages of a book, we connect through minds and hearts with our children and bond closely in a secret society associated with the books we have shared. The fire of literacy is created by the emotional sparks between a child, a book, and the person reading. It isn't achieved by the book alone, nor by the child alone, nor by the adult who's reading aloud - it's the relationship winding between all three, bringing them together in easy harmony."

-Mem Fox, 
Reading Magic: Why reading aloud to our children will change their lives forever.

Picture of Melissa Peacock
Re: Explorations for Friday 3/11 (Emily's project)
by Melissa Peacock - Monday, 14 March 2011, 11:36 AM
 
Emily, I loved your Explorations report. Ever since your presentation I have not been able to stop thinking about those kids who are left behind when it comes to reading and how that can make a HUGE impact on them for the rest of their lives.
I would love to hear any thoughts or ideas any of you may have about how to prevent this. As I mentioned, our family does foster care, and the overwhelming majority of those children (we only have girls age five and under) have rarely, if ever, been read to. I love reading with our little girls, and they love being read to as well. That said, they are often very far behind, not just in reading, but in other areas (perhaps related to the lack of reading).
I am very concerned for these children. I wonder if there are any programs in Whatcom County that make a way for adults or college students to read to these kiddos. If there isn't, perhaps it is time for someone to start one. I know the library does reading time, but in my experience, getting the kids to the library is becoming the hard part. I am thinking about ways to essentially bring the books to the kids. It would be a tragedy to allow all of these bright kiddos to miss out on the world of reading because it was not accessible due to things not their fault whatsoever.
You have inspired me, Emily! I am seriously going to look into reading programs, and if there isn't one, I am going to look into what it would take to get one running. Thank you for the great presentation. I wouldn't have connected those synapses if not for you. ;)
Grey
Re: Explorations for Friday 3/11 (Emily's project)
by Scott Blume - Tuesday, 15 March 2011, 09:07 AM
 
Yes! Children's Librarians and Early Childhood Educators all agree that reading is the key. There are numerous programs to support that--The public library has a page dedicated to it:
http://www.bellinghampubliclibrary.org/children/Events/sixskillslinks.aspx
In my tenure, I found the problem was not finding willing volunteers but delivering the audience. How do we get to the kids who need help?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP