Welcome!

Welcome to my portfolio, a collection of the work I have done for the class Children's Literature at Whatcom Community College.

As I have spent the last months studying the world of children's literature, my eyes have been opened to a new, exciting genre of literature. I have learned the magic of staying up late into the night to finish the last few chapters of Hattie Big Sky, and of the joy of reading The Wizard of Oz with my sister. I became caught up in tales of an underground ice communities, a girl defying gender roles, an orphan boy finding a family, a Kansas girl and her dog, a sly rabbit and a foolish fox, and a frightening land that may represent the future of America. I ran my hands across the pages of countless picture books. I have allowed myself to read and enjoy without inhibition or the expectations that reading adult novels bring.

I spent several weeks studying topics of social justice in children's fiction. I encountered a genre I did not know existed, but allowed me to see tragedy through the hopeful eyes of a child. I attended a children's literature conference, and in doing so, gained sparks that lit a fire of ideas and inspiration in my heart. I interacted with my fellow students in class as well as in our online community. This fellowship of learning and scholarship provided me with the majority of my “aha!” moments this quarter.

All of these pieces of my work are represented in this portfolio. The menu above allows for easy navigation between each category. Although far from exhaustive, I have attempted to bring together the best of my work from the class. Perhaps the most valuable lesson I have learned this quarter is that knowledge is not meant to be kept to oneself. The beauty of scholarship is sharing it with others. In an attempt to share what I have learned, I present this portfolio.

"The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.” -Dr. Suess

**
This portfolio is lovingly dedicated to Mandy and Lexie.
May your reading always give flight to your dreams.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP